What is the Celestial Hammer?
The Celestial Hammer is an annual Warhammer Age of Sigmar Tournament hosted in Southeast Michigan by Purge the Alien, typically occurring in March each year. Although the Celestial Hammer has the “tournament” keyword, it’s often described as a “un-tournament”, meaning that although there are brackets and prizes, the main point of the tournament is to play some fun games with some friendly faces.
Celestial Hammer 2019
Happy New Year and welcome to the first Celestial Hammer Tournament!!
This will be a fun exciting team tournament for Age of Sigmar, which will also function as a great primer tournament for Adepticon this year.
While this is a tournament, the spirit of the event is meant to be more of an open and fun group event. With many hi jinx and stores to be made!
As the weeks draw closer to the event itself we will be releasing more and more info about it. So stay tuned!
But for now there are a few things you need to know.
1: Registration will open on January 13th (Sunday).
In order to buy your tickets you will have to have a teammate picked out (we are not selling individual tickets at this time). Tickets will be $30 per person. ($60 for the team)
2: At least one of you must have a FULLY PAINTED ARMY.
You will be asked to provide pictures of your army along with the list for the army before you can purchase your tickets. Your teammate will then have until February 16th to provide pictures of there fully painted army.
We are NOT doing a “Minimum Painting Requirements” for this event. If we feel your army is not painted enough we will ask you to keep painting before you can buy your tickets. We truly want to see effort into everyone’s army and not just minimum standards.
3: There will be a MAXIMUM of 16 teams across 8 tables!! So get painting and find a partner!!
Below is the first draft of the player packet.
If you have any questions please ask via our Facebook event!!
CELESTIAL HAMMER PLAYER PACKET (v1)
(Taken from 2019 Adepticon Team Tournament)
- Each team will be comprised of 2 armies of up to 1250 points using the General’s Handbook 2018 or points values listed in Battletomes following that release, using army composition for a Vanguard in Pitched Battles (pages 106-108). If a model does not have a points value (such as Beasts of the Grave Terrorgheist or the Wardens of the Realmgate battalion), then it may not be used.
- No new material released after 03.03.2019 will be allowed in this event.
- Compendium entries will not be used during this event.
- Each team must bring seven (7) printed copies of their team’s army lists to the event (one to turn in at registration, one for each of their opponents, and one for themselves). These army lists must be made with Azyr or Warscroll Builder. Handwritten and Battlescribe army lists will not be accepted.
- Rules for Coalition of Death will be used (Core Book page 272).
- Each team must nominate one of their Generals to be the team’s Warlord, which must be indicated on their army list.
- If units and models have choices of what they can be armed with, this must be clearly indicated on your army list and modeled appropriately.
- Bases cannot overlap for purposes of piling in and making attacks. Attacks are measured from base to base from the attacking model to the target. Base sizes for models should be within reason, but no smaller than the bases the models were supplied with. For attacking models on different levels of terrain, measure the range of weapons from shoulder height of the model attacking to the base of the model being attacked.
- All models must be round/oval bases as appropriate. Please use the FAQ base sizes.
- Allegiance Abilities, Command Traits and Artefacts, as well as Battletome specific spells/prayers, must be chosen when you turn in your list for the tournament. These will not change throughout the course of the tournament. These cannot be duplicated between teammates.
- Players on a team with the same Allegiance WILL NOT be allowed to affect each other in any way regardless of Keywords or abilities.
- The additional Allegiance Abilities from the Firestorm supplement will be in use if you chose one of the four Grand Alliances.
- The rules for Malign Sorcery (including Realm Artefacts, Endless Spells, and additional Realm spells) will be in play. Each game will take place in a pre-determined Realm with a pre-determined Realmscape Feature on a table by table basis. These will not be released until the day of the event.
- Hidden Agendas: For the secondary objectives this year, we will be using the Hidden Agendas per the Games Workshop release: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/AoS2_GHB19_Hidden_Agendas_Download-1-1.pdf
and any subsequent updates. Players will choose one Hidden Agenda prior to deployment, and players cannot use the same Hidden Agenda more than once during the tournament. After the game, your opponent will initial the Hidden Agenda you chose on your provided sheet.
- Any armies that require terrain features must use the Games Workshop models for accuracy.
- The Warhammer: Age of Sigmar Rules, errata and all relevant Games Workshop Errata and FAQs will be used.
- The models used in your army must comply with the Celestial Hammer Model Policy (all models MUST be WYSIWYG, 5-color minimum and one color on the base). Any models not within the Model Policy can be removed at the organizer’s discretion. This includes summoned models and terrain features. If you are using a converted model or a similar proxy, it is your responsibility to obtain approval from the tournament organizers prior to the event.
- Any models that you would summon must be fully painted to match your army and displayed on your army display for paint judging. This includes terrain pieces as appropriate.
- All players are expected to abide by the Celestial Hammer Conduct Policy.
- Dice Etiquette: All dice must be rolled onto the table or into a dice try (not into your hand, or in a plastic organizer). Make sure your opponent can see them before you begin removing or re-rolling.
- If illegal units or rules violations are found in a player’s list, at a minimum, the models in violation will be removed from all subsequent play. Tournament points may be deducted, and award eligibility may be forfeited.
- Celestial Hammer Tournament Judges’ and Hall Monitors’ rulings are final and arguments or poor conduct by players will not be tolerated. Purge the Alien & Celestial Hammer reserves the right to remove players from the event with no refunds allowed.
There are a total of 11 questions. The first 10 questions are each worth 4 points and the 11th question is worth 5pts. These are earned by each team for a max of 45 pts.
The first five questions are considered basic and nearly everyone should get these points. The second five are considered technical questions and are left to be decided between you and the judge.
Painting Score Sheet:
- Do ALL of your models have the 5 minimum colors and at least a solid color on there base? Y/N
- Did you apply shading to all of the models in your army? Y/N
- Did you apply dry brushing to all of the models in your army in some way? Y/N
- Did you apply any highlights to all of the models in your army in some way? Y/N
- Did you apply any special basing techniques or use custom bases on all of your models? Y/N
- Do you have a display board that compliments your army?
- Do both armies match or compliment each other on the display?
- What is the theme or story of your teams display?
- What other special effects would you like to show me that you did to your army?(e.x. LED lighting, Blood for the Blood God, Object Source Lighting, etc.)
- Are those special effects throughout a large portion of your army?
- BONUS: What special painting technique would you like to show me that you did somewhere on your army? (e.x. Free hand art, wet blending, Non Metallic Metals, etc.)
Best Painted Team Bonus
During our lunch break on day one, everyone will be tasked to look at all of the teams’ armies together and to vote for their favorite team. Votes will be made as a team, not per player. The team with the most votes (regardless of painting score) will win Best Painted Team, and an extra 10 points to their painting score.
- Command Models: Units may have a command model for each different option that they have access to. For instance, a unit of Ogors may have a Leader, a Bellower, and up to 2 Standard Bearers (one for each banner option they have). This is in interest of consistency with the FAQ ruling regarding Plague Monks, another unit with multiple command options.
- Named/Special Characters: Named Characters (such as Nagash, Gordrak, Drycha Hamadreth, etc) cannot be duplicated on a team.
- Realm and Faction Relics: All relics, weather Realm or Faction specific, cannot be duplicated within a team. (Ex. There cannot be two Doppelgänger Cloaks.)
- Endless Spells: The Endless Spells from the Malign Sorcery expansion must be fully painted per normal rules. However, for purposes of paint scoring, you can do a different basing technique/spell effect for the model basing. However, any army specific Endless Spells (i.e. Everblaze Comet) should match your army’s basing scheme. In addition, it is required that all Endless Spells use stock Games Workshop models. The models are too weird and unusual to be replicated effectively. Any modification to the models will require approval from the tournament organizer.
- Name Placard: Each team should also bring a name placard to accompany their armies, which should include at a minimum, your names printed out. This is to ensure accuracy of paint judging and reduce accidental duplication.
- Legions of Nagash Gravesites: With regards to sizes of the Gravesites, all distances involving Gravesites will be measured from the center of the marker. We certainly encourage creativity, however, please bring flat markers on the same base sizes if you choose to create your own. Remember these are not terrain features, and as such can be moved upon, do not block line of sight, or targeted by abilities that affect terrain.
- Legions of Nagash Gravesites: If both players on a team are using allegiance abilities with The Unquiet Dead battle trait, each player can bring up to 4 Gravesites as normal. However, the Gravesites only affect models for their respective armies. For example, if a team is comprised of a Legion of Blood & Legion of Sacrament, the Gravesites brought by the Legion of Blood player only affect units in the Legion of Blood army or be used to be deployed out of.
- Nurgle Cycle of Corruption: If there are multiple players in a game using the Nurgle Allegiance Ability, then all players use one Cycle of Corruption as per normal rules.
- Spells cast within one Team: A team cannot attempt to cast the same spell in the same phase, even if they come from different sources. (I.e. Nagash and Arcon the Black cannot both attempt to cast Hand of Dust in the same Hero Phase.)
When: March 2-3, 2019, 7 am – 9 pm
Where: Banfield’s Bar and Grill, 3140 Packard St, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108
Questions: Facebook Event